Local 00625 Toronto

DND Treasury Board Members in PA, SV, TC and FB Groups in GTA

More about us

Minutes

News

History

UNDE 625 was originally formed on Canadian Forces Base Downsview on 16 Nov 1968, Founder’s Day. Later the Depot formed a separate Local and the DRDC Agency also form a separate local.

The Membership has been greatly reduced from those days. However, the spirit of innovation and synergy remain to continue addressing the challenges we face in the GTA and beyond within the Department of National Defence’s various Commands and Formations.

Local Executive List

  • Dan Barrett

    President (Feb2019-AGM2020)

    NDQAR

    Brother Barrett has been involved in the Local since 1992. He has served in various capacities including Employee OSH Rep, LMRC Rep, Steward, Chief Steward, Secretary and President. His long time involvement with PSAC's Greater Toronto Area Council provides the Local with important connections with ongoing campaigns that affect us all. His mandate is to transition the local into a more sustainable and engaging structure able to effectively address the challenges and opportunities to improve working conditions by defending and extending rights, entitlements and our collective voice

  • Sol Jasat

    Vice-President AGM 2018 - AGM 2021

    4 CDSG Tech Svcs

    Brother Jasat was elected VP in 2018 has been an active member in the Local since 2010 and has served as Correspondence Secretary, LMRC Rep and Steward during that time. His quest for a more secure and mutually beneficial workplace has helped focus the operations of the local and will serve to guide our operations to a more efficient configuration.

  • Cheryl Wright

    Treasurer AGM 2019 - AGM 2022

    CMSG

    Sister Wright has served the Local as Treasurer since 2013 and has been a member of the JOSH Committee since for many years. Her dedication to her duties enable the Local to be more transparently fulfill the needs of the union. She continues to diligently enhance the accountability of expenditures to the membership

  • Lonny Kates

    Interim Recording Secretary 10Jan2018 - AGM 2020

    4 Cdn Div JTFC

    Brother Kates was elected in January 2019 following the vacating of the position in the November elections. He brings a knowledge of Communication and data management and will help the local to continue to improve its records and resources storage and utilization

  • Andrew Cotrim

    Correspondence Secretary 10Jan2019 - AGM 2022

    4 CDSG Tech Svcs

    Brother Cotrim was acclaimed on 7Nov2019 as Correspondence Secretary. His experience on the Communications Sub-committee since early 2019 and work with the outgoing Correspondence secretary will enable a smooth transition of responsibilities.

  • TBD

    Chief Steward AGM 2018 - AGM 2021 { vacant due to appointment to president Feb2019]

Committee Contacts

  • B. Finance Committee AGM 2017 - AGM 2018

    Chair/Treasurer ………………………………………………….. Cheryl Wright – CMSG
    1st Auditor Till AGM 2018…………………………………….. Andrea Collinson- 32CFHS
    2nd Auditor Till AGM 2018……………………………………. Linda LeBanc JTFC
    Ex-officio member ……………………………………………….. Sol Jasat 4 CDSG Tech Svcs

  • C. Grievance Committee Jan 2016 - Jan 2018

    Chair/Steward At Large…………………………………………..Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    4 CDSG Tech Services Maintenance………………………….Duane Guerra
    4 CDSG Tech Svcs4 CDSG Pers Svcs Steward…………….Kris Krishna
    4CDSG Transport……………………………………………………Mario Fioroni
    4 CDSG Pers Svcs 1 Dent Toronto……………………………..Paola Restrepo
    Steward At Large NDQAR/Dennison…………………………Navteg Mann
    Steward At Large West……………………………………………..Pat Wynne – DCCCA
    Steward At Large Dennison………………………………………Suleman Jasat – 4 CDSG Tech Svcs

  • D. JOSH Committee Jan 2017 - Jan 2019

    Chair/TBD

    CFC JOSH SV ……………………………………………………….Jose Flores – CFC
    CFC JOSH PA………………………………………………………..Yves Chateauneuf- CFC
    32 CBG…………………………………………………………………Mai Truong – 32 CBG
    33 CBG Oshawa…………………………………………………….C. Walton – 33 CBG
    NDQAR…………………………………………………………………Navteg Mann – NDQAR
    Denison 1st Floor…………………………………………………..Shelley Calder – 1 Dental Det Toronto
    Denison West………………………………………………………..Cheryl Wright – CMSG
    Denison 1st Floor……………………………………………………D Guerra- 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    Denison 1st Floor……………………………………………………Kris Krishna – 4 CDSG Pers Svcs
    Ex-Officio………………………………………………………………Carolyn Handley – 32 CF H Svcs C Toronto

  • E. Bargaining Committee Jan 2016 - Jan 2018

    Chair…………………………………………………………………………..Sol Jasat 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    PA Rep……………………………………………………………………….TBD
    SV Rep……………………………………………………………………….Mario Fioroni/Sol Jasat – 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    TC Rep………………………………………………………………………Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    EB Rep………………………………………………………………………J. Creighton – CFC
    NDQAR LMRC Employee Co-Chair……………………………….Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    CFC LMRC Employee Co-Chair…………………………………….Jeff Creighton – CFC
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div Maintenance………………………………………Duane Guerra – 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div Transport……………………………………………Mario Fioroni-  4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div Supply…………………………………………………Kati Leppikangas 4 CDSB Tech Svcs
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div Traffic…………………………………………………Anthony Rothram 4 CDSB Tech Svcs
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div CE…………………………………………………….J. Warack – 4 CDSG Eng Svcs
    LMRC 4 Cdn Div TSO…………………………………………………..Kris Krishna – 4 CDSG Pers Svcs
    LMRC DCCCA……………………………………………………………Cheryl Wright – CMSG
    CFC LMRC SV……………………………………………………………J. Flores – CFC
    CFC LMRC TC (Observer)…………………………………………….M. Lyons – CFC
    CFC LMRC PA …………………………………………………………….Yves Chateneuf
    CFC LMRC EB……………………………………………………………..Jannine
    Ex-Officio……………………………………………………………………Sol Jasat 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    Alternates will be designated on an as required basis in consultation with the primary rep

  • F. Action Committee Jan 2016 - Jan 2018

    Chair GTAC Delegate 1………………………………………………….Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    GTAC Delegate 2 ………………………………………………………….Susan Bellan-CCMS
    MDAC Delegate……………………………………………………………
    TRWC Delegate…………………………………………………………..
    RVAC Delegate……………………………………………………………Eileen Lessey – RP OPS
    Pride Rep…………………………………………………………………….Dave Ilkew – CFC
    Ex-Officio……………………………………………………………………Sol Jasat 4 CDSG Tech Svcs

  • G. Recreation and Welfare Committee Jan 2017 - Jan 2019

    Chair Denison……………………………………………………………..TBD
    GCWCC Labour Co-Chair 2019 Campaign…………………….. Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    NPSW Rep…………………………………………………………………..
    EAP Liaison………………………………………………………………….
    Ex-Officio……………………………………………………………………..Sol Jasat – 4 CDSG Tech Svcso

  • H. Membership Committee Jan 2017 - Jan 2019

    Chair ………………………………………………………………………..Suleman Jasat – 4 CDSG Tech Svcs
    Communication……………………………………………………………Lony Kates JTFC
    Awards and Recognition…………………………………………………
    Orientation……………………………………………………………………Dan Barrett – NDQAR
    Intervener……………………………………………………………………..Eileen Lessey – RP OPS

Documents

Bylaws for 2016 have now been approved with administrative changes to remove honorariums .

Local Committees

Mandate and Records of Discussion

Local 625 currently has 8 Committees according to local bylaw 9 and related Component Bylaws and regulations.  The Mandate of the comittees and approved minutes are as follows:

  • 1. Executive Committee

    The Executive Committee  is scheduled to meet once every other month or as required to address priority matters. The Committee is Chaired by the President who’s leadership creates the vision and mission to be executed in accordance with the mandate from the membership. The Vice President addresses operational matters in the local and ensures that priority issues can be addressed in the absence of the President. The Treasurer ensures that the best practices of financial transparency and accountability are pursued to enhance confidence in the value offered by the services provided by the local.  The Secretary and Communications officer ensure that members received timely and useful information.
    Minutes for Executive meetings are anticipated to be posted below or through a link once sufficient data accumulated.
    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

    20191024 Meeting Cancelled

    20190919
    Item I Review previous RoD 1May2019 Approved By Consensus
    Item II Officer Reports
    ………….a Treasure advised no expenses since January submitted and the signing authority    remains outstanding
    ………….b Secretary discussed Minutes from last GMM. Record relocation from CFC being pursued
    ………….c Correspondence Secretary/Youth Rep discussed maintaining communication strategy as is with an integration of social media opportunities to be pursued
    Item III Old Business
    ……………..a) Swearing in of Officers ( missed at June meeting addressed for Paola and Lonny
    ……………..b) Vacancies (Chief steward remains unfilled, MDAC Rep potential member declined opportunity, GTAC Second Delegate identified as Susan Bellan , TRWC Rep member considering/ R&WC Chair left vacant, GCWCC Cochair 2019 Dan, GCWCC Cochair 2020 TBD, NPSW Rep TBD, EAP Liaison TBD,/ Membership Chair, Awards and Recognition Lonny, Communication Subcommittee Paola
    ……………..c) Membership update cards and orientation package recommended to stay the same
    ……………..d) CFC Cleaner support being pursued through Component
    Item IV New Business
    ……………..a) LDP preparations complete members encouraged to attend
    ………………b) Bargaining, strike preparation update provided
    ………………c ) Federal election engagement encouraged with members knowing their rights
    Item V Adjournment 13:15

    20190814 Meeting Deferred 20190911

    20190501
    Item I Call To Order 11:40 Quorum Confirmed
    Item II Agenda Adopted by Consensus
    Item III RoD Review
    -RoD for 25Feb2019 Discussed
    MSC Cheryl Andrew, approve subject to secretary input.
    -RoD for 10Dec2018 Discussed
    MSC Andrew, Sol THAT RoD be Adopted
    -RoD 19 Oct Discussed
    MSC Andrew Cheryl THAT RoD be Adopted
    Item IV Officer Reports
    ….a)State of Local discussed.  Area Coordinator for possible strike being activated. Union Bargaining reviewed, Phoenix grievances  being processed. Files at CFC to be reviewed by stewards as learning opportunities and archived ASAP
    ….b)Finance Treasurer discussed GMM presentation
    …….i)Budget has not changed since November. 
    Action Sol to pursue cheaper plans for Phone
    $10 data extra union business expense factored in every 3 months
    …….ii) year to date expenses frozen since December
    Dan to submit claim once signing authority Clarified
    …….iii) Signing Authority
    Dan  to pursue making appointment for himself and Sol
    ….c) Communications Correspondence Secretary
    ……i)Distribution list working on DWAN for the most part
    ……ii)bi-weekly communication strategy beginning to be executed consistently
    ….d)Records Recording Secretary items discussed
    …….i) Minute Generation and Posting, defer
    ……..ii) Filing accommodations defer
    ….e) Social Media & Web Presence Youth Delegate
    Action Andrew, Facebook Youtube, twitter
    Action Dan Consolidate YouTube videos for review
    Item V Old Business
    ….a) Standing Rule Requirements defer GMM agenda
    …..b) Component Contact info reported Cheryl Andrew ok confirm with Sol, Lonny and Paolo
    ….c) Membership Contact Update 29 March in 00625@unde.org account. Some e-mail addresses are bouncing back 
    Item Vi New Business
    …..a) Nominations Committee for Chief Steward election at May meeting Cheryl and Sol Serge 10June date expected
    …..b)May Meeting Agenda- call out today until 6th post by 12thof May
    …..c) Promotional UNDE swag $40 allowance discussed

    25Feb2019 ( note extract of Lonys minutes requires incorporation to be updated at a later date)
    *Dan Called  Meeting to Order 12:15
    *Review Last Minutes deferred
    *Executive Roles and Youth representative deferred to ensure any standing rules can be put in place.
    Action Dan to Reach out to New exec separately.
    *Financial update discussed with Cheryl no checks issued since December. request for Monthly Meeting with Auditors discussed.
    Action Dan/Cheryl Follow-up required
    * Signing Officers appointment for Visit to Bank required for Sol and Dan probably in April due to Sols Leave
    Adjourned at 12:4720181210
    Meeting Called to Order 10:00 by Telecon
    RoD for 19October2018 adopted by consensus
    Appointment pending ratification discussed for newly vacated positions. Election of President and vacated positions referred to membership Committee
    Orientation on Roles of Officers and the need for any Standing Orders discussed

    20181019RoD
    RoD for 22Aug adopted by consensus
    Preparation for AGM completed
    Recruitment of new members discussed to fill vacancies

    No amendments to Bylaws proposed

    Executive Record of Discussion May-September 2018

    Executive Records of Discussion 1Oct2017-11Apr2018

    Executive Committee Records of Discussion 1Oct 2016-30Sep2017

  • 2. Finance Committee

    is Chaired by the Treasurer and includes the two auditors as full members with vote and voice. The President is an ex-officio member of the committee. The Committee is required to meet once a year. This last session it has greatly increased the visibility of local expenses in an structured and effective manner. The advance distribution of the Financial Report to members for whom the local has e-mail addressed for is also  considered a further beneficial initiative to enhance confidence in the Local.
    Minutes for meetings are anticipated to be posted through a link below once approved.
    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

    20180926 Finance Committee Record of Discussion

    Finance Record of Discussion 18Oct2017

  • 3. Grievance Committee

    is Chaired by the Chief Steward and includes all local stewards as full members with voice and vote. In addition, the Bargaining Demand Reps have standing in this committee to ensure Demands can address some of the matters that stem from grievance issues. In addition, the President is an ex-officio member of this committee. The committee is required to meet 4 time a year.
    Minutes for meetings are anticipated to be posted through a link below once approved.

    December Meeting cancelled due to departure of President and other unforeseen developments

    20190911
    Item I Dan Called Meeting to Order at 13:15
    Item II Agenda adopted by Consensus
    Item III RoD for 20 June approved by Consensus
    Item IV Standing Items reviewed
    -WFA concerns being monitored.
    -Phoenix cases continue to emerge Grievances being usued
    -Steward Workload reviewed
    ItemV
    -Chief Steward Nomination deferred to AGM
    -Interference With union Complaint for Delays in grievances being pursued with Component
    -Annual Report for Grievances for AGM reviewed
    Adjourn 14:00

    20Jun2019
    Item I Meeting called to order by Duane
    Item II RoD for 21mar Approved By Consensus
    Item III Standing Items Discussed
    -WFA at CFC continues to be pursued. 2 work centres with discussions on WFA have not been formalized.
    -2Ea Phoenix Grievances processed One withdrawn concerns on First aid handout identified
    -Workload issues discussed for stewards
    Item IV New Business
    -Continued Lack of transparency on Hr Plan Discussed. LMRC referral requested
    -4CanDivPOsitions Discussed at Jobs.gc.ca. Toronto MDO FDS and CRs in Toronto pool…
    Contracting out Concern for CFC Cleaners escalated to VP Ont. National Complaint proceeding
    Adjournment 12:42

     

    Minutes 12sep2018
    MSC Carolyn/Sol  That 13June Minutes be adopted.
    Old Business discussed included
    WFA notices pending in 2 commands. Members aware of option. Phoenix existing cases making progress. New case of overpayment preventing Emergency Salary Advance
    New Business discussed included. Seward workload update.Carolyn assignment Steward at large 3ea  Staffing cases  Dan 1 ea Harassment Shela 2 ea work description and Health and Safety case.
    -Year End Report of Grievances –Staffing 2,–NJC 1,–Labour Relations 12,
    -Learning opportunities discussed
    13:27 adjourned by Consensus

    RoD 13Jun2018
    Item I Meeting called by Duane 11:45 Item II MSC By Consensus That 21 mar2018 RoD be adopted
    Item III Standing Items -WFA 2 members understood to be in layoff mode. 2 members understood to be continuing in positions. Hoping for offer soon.) Offer to 3 Members expected By January.  action not formally encountered yet. Additional unit offer outstanding
    Phoenix Issues discussed- 2 signed grievances received for Phoenix one withdrawn. Several concerns addressed by first aid handout.
    -Workload 1 Acting appointment grievance expected to proceed to Informal discussion shortly as member yet to receive PeopleSoft notice since January. 1 discrimination grievance at arbitration not pursued. 1 PMA grievance withdrawn at ADR with new PMA issued. 1ea level 2 hearing outstanding in Discrimination case assigned to Dan. 2 discipline investigations expected to result in grievance by Friday being taken on by Duane. CFC Staffing complaint taken on by Carolyn
    Item IV New Business
    Continued lack of transparency of Hr Plan LMRC referral.  4 can Div  Jobs.gc.ca Toronto MDO FDS CRs Toronto pool… Escalating staffing concerns re contracting out Cleaners. RVP Ont consolidated in national complaint based on informal notice to contract out (casuals to be pursued presently,  alternate service delivery under consideration by members
    Item V Adjournment 12:42

     

    Grievance Committee Meetings 1Oct2017-9May2018

    Grievance Committee Annual Summary 2016-7

    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

  • 4. Bargaining Committee

    is Chaired by the Vice President and includes all local representatives of UMCCs, LMRCs and the 4 Bargaining Demand Representatives. In addition the President is an ex-officio member. The Committee addresses key issues that impact the effectiveness and efficiency of Local Commands and Formations. Matters include standing items on HR Plan Transparency (how vacancies will be addressed…), Personal Learning Plans (orientation, JLP and Union presentations, completion rates), HR/Personal resources available to members, Cyclical Policy review (Strike Protocol…), Recognition Programs (NPSW…) Joint Initiatives (GCWCC…)
    Minutes for meetings are anticipated to be posted through a link below once approved.
    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

     

  • 5. JOSH Committee

    is Chaired is selected by the Committee members in January of every other year. The Members of the Committee include UNDE625 Labour reps from the CFC or Denison JOSH Committees and appointed OSH rep for members in commands/formations not covered by the existing JOSH Committee.  The Committee ensures the requirements of the Canada Labour Code Part II are upheld. This has recently included ensuring meetings of committees are being held, DGSAFE requirements are being addressed (weekly safety briefings) and Office inspections are being conducted at the monthly frequency required and Safety investigations for civilian employees include the appropriate Labour Rep.
    Minutes for meetings are anticipated to be posted through a link/enclosures below once approved.

    Minutes 14Mar2018
    Meeting called to Order at 11:50 by Sheila. Agenda Adopted by Consensus. RoD from 15Mar2017 adopted by consensus.
    Committee Status  was reviewed.Training cancellations and schedule outlined.
    Ventilation issues in MIR,PSS and Dental discussed PMED evaluation recommended
    Adjourned by Consensus 12:07

    Minutes 15Mar2017
    Agenda Adopted by Consensus 11:36. RoD for 16Mar2016 reviewed MSC Kris, Paula THAT record be approved
    Joint Safety Courses Schedule identified as unavailable.
    Annual Report for General Safety should be reviewed at next JOSH meeting or in the absence of JOSH by LMRC Committee or OSH Rep.
    Concerns with potable water, HVAC capability and Fire extinguisher 4 year cycle to be monitored

    Minutes 18Mar2016
    Agenda adopted by Consensus 11:45. RoD for 18Mar2015 adopted by Consensus. Training and representation reviewed. Implications changes to refusal to work discussed. Committee meeting frequency difficulties discussed.

    Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

  • 6. Action Committee

    is Chaired by one of the local delegates to regional councils and committees. It is comprised of two delegates to the Greater Toronto Area Council and one delegate from Youth, Women, Racially Visible, Indigenous and Members with Disabilities committees.

    Current Campaigns being pursued include: Fix Phoenix, Make It fair ( 15 and Fairness) We Own It, Save Canada Post, Hands off our pension and Area Committee initiatives to increase awareness of equity issues and engagement in relevant campaigns

    Minutes for meetings are anticipated to be posted through a link below once approved in sufficient quantity or once 3 years of data have been accumulated.
    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to

    11SEp2019
    Item 1 Meeting Portion Call to Order 12:30
    Meeting |Chaired by Dan and Recorded by Lony.
    Item II Agenda Adopted by Consensus
    Item III Previous Record of discussion for 22Aug2018 approved by Consensus
    Item IV Old Business
    *GCWCC labour CoChair  for this year acclaimed as Dan. Delegates for Canvasing could not be identified at meeting. like Canvasers should be employed Military for Military, Manager for Manager, Non Management Employee for Non Management Employee
    Item V New Business
    *Pride report Delivered by Dave outlined activities with Regional committee around pride Parade. The Structure of this Committee appears to be health
    *YWC report Nil at this time
     *GTAC Report
    -Open delegate spot assigned to Susan Bellan
    -GTAC Annual $300 donation discussed with respect to presence in the Budget.  Motion approved by Concensus to again  donate $300 to GTAC to promote  LDP including at OFL
     -All candidates debate Yonge and Shepard area hosted by PSAC 6 local members requested to attend. (Secretarial Note One additional member of Local attended event and asked question in relation to Taxing off shore services.
    *MDAC Activity report thank Martin for his service and asked an interested members to step forward into the vacancy.  Retirement session at PSAC regional off put on by this committee discussed as outlined on PSAC Ontario site
    *RVAC Activity report (Nil)
    *TRWC Activity report appointment of rep deferred
    Item VI Adjournment anticipated by 12:45

    22Aug2018 Action Committee
    Item I Review RoD from 14 Feb adopted by Consensus
    Item II Old Business
    Municipal election call out to members
    Funding for Labour Day Parade discussed. MSC Dan Sheila that annual contribution of $300 be provided to promote LDP.GTAC thanked local for continued generosity.
    Item III New Business
    GCWCC designate appointed as Lynda and Carolyn
    GTAC Food and Clothing Drive discussed in concert with GCWCC campaign. Appetite to continue drive not evident.

  • 7. Membership Committee

    Is chaired by the Communications Officer and coordinates the locals communication strategy and orientation presentations . The Committee has been used to address WFA matters and membership profiles updates

    Minutes for meetings are posted below with a link to be generated once sufficient records are generated.

    11Sep2019
    Item 1 Dan Call this portion of meeting to Order 12:15
    Item 2 Agenda adopted by Consensus
    Item 3 Review Of Record of Discussion
    a) 10 Jan 2019 meeting cancelled
    b) 12Sep201 Meeting RoD approved by Consensus
    Item 4 Old Business
    a) Communication Strategy update
          Media scan copies to members home address. Dan
          Biweekly updates and alternation Andrew/Paola
          Web Updates Dan/Paola
    b) Membership update and profile for possible strike April discussed
    Item 5 New Business
    a) Representation for vacancies and Chairs in various committees Discussed
    b) Awards and Recognitions Outlined
    c) Union Harassment report (Nil)
    d) Discipline adhoc position for possible strike action deferred
    Item 6 Adjournment of Membership Committee 12:30

    25Feb2019 Action Committee
    Item I Action Committee Called to order 11:50
    Item II Review previous minutes was deferred
    Item III Standing Items
    *GTAC delegates President, VP or alternate identified. (Secretarial Note AGM Officer position if taken by Local delegate frees up additional spot for local.)

    * 1March demo at MP Morneau Office identified. Entitlements for those wishing to attend touched on.
    *Federal Election call out to get out the vote requires an updated membership list.
    *GTAC Financial audit requested of Cheryl and hopefully one other local auditor. (Secretarial note: Financials now ready for audit preferably by 14th but a later date is also acceptable)
    *TRWC issues discussed
    -Committee has good presence on Facebook (Secretarial Note representation for local requires review.)
    International Women’s Day 8 March Demo outlined and 9March Brunch discussed interested members entitlements to attend offered subsidy per local bylaw training entitlement.
    *RVAC Black History Month initiative outlined
    *Pride Committee unable to reconstitute. AGM deferred
     *YWC Meeting on 20th identifies committee reconstituting. (Secretarial Note this committee also deferred AGM)
      Adjourned 12:15            

    12Sep2018
    Meeting called to order by Sheilla
    Previous RoD 10Jan 2018 Approved MSC Sol Kris
    Old Business
    Communication Strategy implementation
    -Schedule web, AGM Friday Nov9classroom 10. Classroom 10 for rest of Year keeping with 2nd weds
    -weekly update based on GTAC weekly plus Media scan…
    Membership update progress
    Cards mail out to Kim ASAP action Carolyn
    Staffing issues in other departments referred to GTAC
    New Business
    Call out for Municipal election
    Membership contact update
    Health and Safety Conference Nov30-dec2 Miss application Duane alt Dan( secretarial Note CFC JOSH member went instead)

    Minutes  10Jan 2018
    Meeting Called to order approximately 12:30. MSC Dan Mario That 18Jan2017 RoD be adopted.
    Old business
    Membership profile update discussed (Rands) former DRDC members discussed
    {secretarial Note: Kim Bracken UNDE contacted re examples member should be encouraged to sign membership card and complete basic orientation with rep) {secretarial note Basic orientation update for deduction rates required}
    Communication Strategy
    -Contact list update required. Sheila on pay days to provide newsletter style update re
    Phoenix, bargaining , local business ( next meeting), Campaigns (resources web links,
    Action Facebook weekly updates on Monday recommended coordinating updates between Carolyn, Dan and Sheila recommended-Recognition
    Action Carolyn to address years of service for member known to be retiring soon.
    Orientation sessions:
    Action Dan updating and uploading.
    Complaints
    (Finance Statement approval concern expressed. matter considered resolved)
    New Business
    Election of reps for Grievance reconstitute , Bargaining  updated  , Action
    Reconstitute of committees approved by consensus pending ratification in May.
    MSC Mario Adjourn 1:28

    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

  • 8. Recreation and Welfare Committee

    coordinates initiative for recognition, celebration, remembrance and sympathy. Current campaigns include GCWCC and NPSW and the EAP Program.
    Minutes for meetings are  posted below or through a link once enough data accumulated.

    1May2019
    Item I Meeting called to order at 11:40 with agenda Adopted by Consensus
    Item II Review RoD
    a) RoD for 2016&and 2017 were deferred. In 2016 Eileen Lessey was appointed CoChair of GCWCC in 2017 Carolyn took on Role of Co-Chair of GCWCC.)
    b)11Apr2018 RoD approved by Consensus
    Item III Old Business
          a)EAP Proposals for year was not recieved and no response from local committee could be obtained 
          Item IV New Business
          a)Review of Composition was deferred. Linda tendered her resignation as chair of Committee but volunteered to continue with GCWCC event coordination.
          b)Review Mandate deferred  ( SEcretarial Note Membership Committee may need to take on Retirements and Anniversaries due to lack of representatives for this committee)
          c)PSAC Strike Hardship Fund was discussed with regards to possible strike. Members can apply to this fund to supplement income should a strike occur. Finances will need to be provided to PSAC to determine applicability.
          d) UNDE625 Strike Training Supplement should a strike occur in addition to the $50 in tax free strike pay member may also be eligable for the Locals $25 training allowance. This should ease at least the first 3 days of any strike.
    Meeting Adjourned 12:15
    11Apr208
    Committee Called to Order 11:40
    Previous minutes deferred
    MSC Linda, Carolyn ( update ASAP)
    Old business
    Retirements/Well Wishing –Charlie Tavenor get well ,
                Owen Gooznee 30 Yrs congratulated on retirement,
    New business
    NPSW observance ( anticipates 4 may)
    Recognition of employees union service… 10 Cheryl,  Duane, Sol
    Appointing GCWCC employee reps for 2018 Linda.
    MSC Carolyn, Linda That Early Bird draw be primarily gift cards
    Action Dan to coordinate distribution of ticket template
    Defer 2019 GWCC appointment  till next meeting
    Next meeting MSC Carolyn Linda 15Aug2018
    Action Dan update web for new date in Aug
    (Secretarial Note Web Update and follow-on  Meeting did not
    occur.) Meeting Adjourned at 12:08

    UNDE Website update lost previously updated records. Reconstituted versions to be  uploaded ASAP. Records for 2014-2015 attached to Recreations and Welfare committee link

    ****Records of discussion attached as a consolidated document for previous sessions as available***

    ROD 2014-15

    RoD 2013-14 (till5Oct2014)

Local Profile

Includes Members Accomplishments and Contribution to a Stronger Canada

The Local profile is intended to raise awareness of the contributions our members provide to the effective operation of the Department of National Defence. This Page is intended to provide members with an appreciation of the work done by members in the Local, and raise awareness of the quality public services provided by our Brothers and Sisters.

The Local invites members to submit generic examples of the work done by our members and how it enhances the safety security and public interest of all Canadians.

The Local is comprised of approximately 150 members in central Ontario mainly in the GTA. The services provided include Inspection, Maintenance, Clerical, Administration, Finance, Safety, Security, and Logistics.

Together with CF Members and Reserves, we address the mission, vision and goals of approximately 7 Commands and various formations in the region.

Grievances

UNDE 625 duty to represent with respect to grievances extends primarily to Labour Relations Grievances, 1st level NJC grievances, and Group grievances.  However the Local is in a position to assist the component with classification grievances, staffing complaints to Public Service Staffing Tribunal (PSST Complaints) and Policy grievances.

When you require representation, contact your assigned steward or Chief Steward.  Steward assignments are identified above in Committee contact tabs

The primary trends of grievances seem to relate to three primary issues:

1. The absence of a transparent HR plan for members.  This impedes the ability to translate the units mission and vision into goals that can be effectively implemented.  Although this document does exist for most commands and formations, it is not easily understood many cases. In the absence of clarity on required position competencies, core activities for each level of the organization the duties performed by members become difficult to relate to the statement of duties and way to develop ones career.
2. CPRR Objectives are often vague. The subjective nature of expectations lead to misinterpretations and dissatisfaction with assessments and the way in which performance counselling is conducted. SMART goals in CPRRs is believed to be the best way to enhance effectiveness of the employee and provide meaning to a process that is currently in flux to an undetermined form.
3 PLP under-utilization appears to be another key issue in preventing misunderstandings and in efficiencies. Too many members do not obtain approval for requested training in April  and October. In addition, the use of orientation sessions from the Local and an attempt to provide access to JLP training through LMRC need to be better developed. All public servants have certain core training requirements. Coordinating such training regionally with other commands and formations would be a much more cost effective approach than not spending training budgets.

Best Practices:

Resolution to concerns should be pursued through a timely (not more than 25 working days to get to step 2) and persistent approach (ensuring follow-up every 25 working days is pursued). The following steps have helped many members resolve situations quickly before a formal grievance was required.

1. Orientate yourself to the issue:
-ensure you are aware of the resources available to you to resolve an issue (i.e.: policy procedure your co-workers perspectives on the issue, etc.)

2. Seek clarification on the matter of concern from your supervisor:
-request informal discussion in accordance with your collective agreement

3. Request consideration of matters that may seem missing from managements visibility:
-generate a record of discussion of matters of consideration to ensure common understanding is held by yourself and your supervisor

4. Suggest a resolution of the matter based on past practice

5. Recommend a resolution of the matter based on previous suggestions and new information

Communication with your supervisor is key to a rewarding career in the Government. Ensure you advise management of what they need to know in accordance with professional standards of privacy and ethical considerations.

Education

Orientation presentation and training opportunities

The Local’s orientation program is based on the introductory orientation to ones steweard. As the Local composition changes, so to does the orientation program, thus members are oriented to changes in the Local structure processes and procedures through monthly presentations of approximately 10 minutes in duration. In this way, the Local promotes a continuous learning opportunity and is able to respond to recent developments in a cyclical manner

Orientation Presentations for this session includes:

  • Joint Management Labour Consultation
  • Building Unit Coheasion (Enhancing a Mutually Benefitial Relationship with Management)
  • Duty to Represent and Right to Inform
  • CLC Part II and the DND General Safety Program
  • NJC Cyclical Review and Collective Agreement Negotiations
  • NPSW (Proudly Serving Canadians)
  • Social Justice Fund (Local Outreach Developments)
  • Union Benefits, Dues and the Rand Formula
  • Accountability (Transparency and Confidentiality)
  • Conflict Resolution (Harassment, Discrimination, Human Right Legislation)

 

Campaigns

Campaigns Local 625 participates in are related to UNDE/PSAC and Local Committee actions. As a member of the Federal Public Service it is important that you participate in these campaigns to have your voice heard and ensure that the Union is meeting its obligation to represent you. Please ensure your contact information is current and complete. Identify your preferred mode of contact and preferably your cell phone info to ensure the local can reach you in an emergency.
See the Action Committee mandate and Records of discussion for more details on Local campaigns

  • Current Campaign

    Standing up for Canada. With the various commitments by the Federal government to repeal antiunion legislation Members are asked to keep encouraging their MPs to do the right thing and follow through on commitments to ensure fair collective bargaining, health workplaces and the protection of employee rights.

    The Ontario We Want Campaign. Based on the OFL’s Nov2015 Action Plan  the local is supporting efforts by PSAC’s Greater Toronot Area Council to engage members in efforts to participate in Rallies and  speak to their MPs around the opening of labour legislation. Of particular emphasis is the $15 for fairness initiatives that have been endorsed by the OFL

  • Ongoing Campaigns

    We Own It is a campaign to keep public assets public prevent improper privatization

    Protect Our Pension is a response to the proposed unilateral change to federal public service pensions recently introduced into legislation and hoped to die on the order paper.

    Election Reform is a long standing goal of unions to replace the current first past the post process with a method that is more inclusive and representative of the electorate

    See GTAC Facebook Page for more details

  • Past Campaigns

    We Are All Affected Campaign. With the downsizing of government to meet sustainable and effective goals some services are being lost, contracted out or compromised. In the end it may be that the public interest will not manafest the political will to act on these issues. Most often this is because the context and implications are not apparent. Please contact your steward if you have not signed your Pledge card. The pledge cards are a measure of support and help the Local and PSAC to ensure its contact information is current

    Respect our Rights Clement Petition to Respect Collective bargaining rights in relation to NPSW was extended due to the postponement of the event. Contrary to initial indications the employer opted out of the event during NPSW this year. The local is looking at rescheduling the event at which time the clement petition should be completed. Preliminary signatures have been submitted to the PSAC regional office.

    19 Minutes on the 19th Campaign started on the 7th of Sep2014 with the first Local video on political action. It is in support of our bargaining teams and to prepare for the 2015 Federal Election. the Local has generated a series of short videos on YouTube to raise awareness the avenues available to members to address concerns with the pace of bargaining, the cuts to staffing levels and how members can effectively interface with their MPs. The projected completion date is 19Oct2015 the date of the next federal election. Members are encouraged to review the videos comment and provide feedback on how the current round of bargaining and election run up has affected them.

    Local Petition to eliminate division 20 from Bill C59. activities were completed on 19June2015. This petition was submitted to MP for consideration by the house.to remove the provision that eliminates collective bargaining related to sick leave.The bill was passed without ammendment. Thanks from the Local and MP were extended to those who signed the petition.

    The Standing Together Campaign related to labour law changes in the omnibus Budget Bill C-4 bill passed 13Dec2013 T-Shirts were distributed to members in relation to the We Are All Affected Campain. The Shirts front speaks to the fact that Unions have the interests of Canadians when they stand up for their rights and  the rights of all. The back of the shirt reminds us of the many victories labour has won over the years.The campaign was completed during the summer of 2014. The law was appealed to the ILO as being contrary to the canadian governments signing of International Declaration.

    Defending Quality Public Services this campaign was focused on raising awareness of

     

Future updates to this Campaigns will include past Campaign activities and local initiatives to enhance unit coheasion and a mutually benefitial relationship between management and employees.

Archive