November 28-30, 2014

National Executive Minutes

Mont-Tremblant, QC

Chair John MacLennan National President
Members June Winger Executive Vice-President
Dan Frost Vice-President (NL/NB)
Terry Kiley Vice-President (NS)
Philippe Turcq Vice-President (QC)
Paulette Barker Vice-President (NCR)
Serge Desbiens Vice-President (ON)
Mona Simcoe Vice-President (MB/SK)
Brenda Ebear Vice-President (AB/North)
T. Mark Miller Vice-President (BC)
Tamara Lindsay Vice-President (NPF)
Monty Montgomery Vice-President (CSE)
Gloria Kelly Human Rights Advisor
Recording Secretary Sandra Montpetit

 

    FRIDAY NOVEMBER 28, 2014

  • The harassment statement was read aloud by Human Rights Advisor Gloria Kelly and Sister Enza Ricci was named intervener.

    The National President asked for a roundtable of introductions being the first meeting of this new mandate with the Deputy Vice-Presidents:

    Dennis Sheppard – DVP NL/NB

    Gerry McEachern – DVP NS

    Michel Allard – DVP Quebec

    Enza Ricci – DVP NCR

    Steve Gauthier – DVP Ontario

    Glen Johnston – DVP Man/Sask

    Robyn Westgarth – DVP Alberta/North

    Colleen Girard – Second alternate DVP BC

    Charley Paul – DVP NPF

    Eugene Stone – DVP CSE

    Paul Jones – Alternate to the Human Rights Advisor

    The hours of session were set as follows:

    Friday November 28, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to 4:30

    Saturday, November 29, 9:00 -11:30 / 1:00 to 4:30

    Sunday, November 30, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to termination of business.

    The agenda was adopted.

    A moment of silence was observed for the following members who have passed:

    Brother Andrew Gribbon, Local 629

    Brother Guy MacKinnon, Local 654

    Brother Mike Busby, Local 1007

    Brother Ken Hawley, Past UNDE National President

    OPENING REMARKS

  • The National President welcomed everyone to the Fall meeting, the first meeting of the new mandate since Convention. He thanked everyone for their words of condolences with the recent death of his Father. He informed the group that Bill-377 is back in the Senate. He also explained that the National Board of Directors requires anyone working on investigations must be have the investigation training which is now being rolled out by the PSAC. Finally, after two failed attempts, the National President and the EVP are still trying to schedule a meeting with the Minister of National Defence, his office has postponed the two meetings that were confirmed.

    STANDING ITEMS

  • Air Command Report                                                                                                      m-s Miller/Turcq

    VP Miller presented his written report where he outlined concern that approved apprentice positions have not yet been filled which means the funding for these positions is not saved but returned back. This should be a priority as funding is not carried over. There was also some discussion about boot allowances and how they are funded.

  • Apprenticeship Program Report                                                                        m-s Miller/Kiley

    VP Miller presented his written report which highlighted that funding for the program could be extended beyond the current end date of 2018. He is also asking for feedback across the country concerning the apprenticeship program in the regions and how it is going.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Newfoundland/Labrador/New Brunswick Report                                      m-s Frost/Barker

    VP Frost presented his written report which detailed activities and AGMs within his Locals. Unfortunately there has been more WFA in St. John’s.   He also said that with on-going Treasury Board negotiations, PSAC has sent out strike action correspondence.   EVP Winger said that the list of ESA designations will be sent out from Treasury Board through the PSAC on December 11th with a short 60-day turnaround.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • Mandate 2014 to 2017 – The National President outlined a couple of the resolutions from Convention that need to be actioned such as UNDE’s 50th Anniversary celebration in 2017 and having a yearly Presidents Conference, preliminary planning for these has already begun.

    EVP Winger also presented a summary of submissions from Locals for the Presidents Conference, the deadline for submissions from Presidents from each region is Dec. 16th. The tentative dates for the next Presidents Conference are June 12 to 14, 2015 with tentative travel days being June 11 and June 14 (pm) or June 15 for those living in outlying areas. The Conference will be 2.5 days in length. Location to be determined.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Nova Scotia Report                                                                                            m-s Kiley/Turcq

    VP Kiley presented his written report outlining various meetings he has attending since being re-elected at Convention. Halifax has organized many lunchtime demonstrations against the issue of paid parking as well as the issue of having sick days taken away by the employer. He also highlighted the recent EAP Training session in Halifax with UNDE’s own Sister Sandra Griffith-Bonaparte (NCR Local 607) being a union co-facilitator.

  • Non-Public Funds Report                                                                              m-s Lindsay/Desbiens

    VP Lindsay presented her written report which includes some recent negotiation updates for her Locals, as well as meetings and AGMs that have taken place.

  • Manitoba/Saskatchewan Report                                                                  m-s Simcoe/Turcq

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which outlined conferences, training and meetings in and around her region.   VP Simcoe also presented the Prairies Summit Meeting Report, which was attended and reported by Brother Glen Johnston.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • UNDE Portfolios                                                                                                  m-s Lindsay/Kiley

    The National President presented a document which outlines which National Officer will be responsible for each of the employer portfolios as well as the UNDE Standing Committees. Once it is updated the document will be sent out electronically and available on the website. There has also been a shuffling of regions between the Union Services Officers which will also be updated on the website as of January 1st2015 which is when the shuffle officially takes effect.

    STANDING ITEMS

  • Bylaws Report                                                                                                                 m-s Miller/Turcq

    VP Miller presented his written report which included a reminder to the regions to submit their quarterly harassment reports, which when not submitted are in violation of the policy. The dates on the forms are: Jan-March, April-June, July-Sept and Oct-Dec. The National President informed the group that the revised Bylaws coming out of Convention in August can now be found on the website in both languages. Hard copies of the books will be printed and sent out to the Locals in the coming weeks.

  • EAP Report                                                                                                         m-s Ebear/Miller

    VP Ebear presented her written report. Being that she recently took over this portfolio, she has already been contacted by Micheline Hickeson from the department and has been brought up to date on current issues.

  • FR Report                                                                                                        m-s Desbiens/Turcq

    VP Desbiens presented his written report which outlined a few conference calls with the FR Wellness Committee due to the re-emergence of the Physical Training (PT) Evaluation. With Brother Blair Winger no longer part of the Steering Committee, Brother Bill McKeown from Wainwright has filled in for this position.

  • Health & Safety Report                                                                                      m-s Kiley/Turcq

    VP Kiley presented his written report. There are still concerns with First Aid, especially at the Esquimalt Dockyard, therefore this item will remain on the agenda at the National Health & Safety Policy Committee.

  • ADM-IE Report                                                                                                    m-s Miller/Ebear

    VP Miller presented his written report with Core Task Analysis in Esquimalt and Borden being the hot topic as the process and definition has been found to be problematic. A larger working group has been formed to look into this.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Quebec Report                                                                                                 m-s Turcq/Desbiens

    VP Turcq presented his written report which outlined the 19th of the month rallies which have been very successful. Also, AGMS in his region have begun and there is some turnover with a few members retiring.

    SATURDAY NOVEMBER 29, 2014

  • EVP Report                                                                                                     m-s Winger/Ebear

    EVP Winger presented her written report which included her activities since being elected in August as well as reports from the Union Services Officers for this period. EVp Winger also informed the group that the PSAC has organized investigation training which will be given to train the National Officers on how to sit on investigations, this is not training on how to facilitate.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Alberta and the North Report                                                                      m-s Ebear/Turcq

    VP Ebear presented a report prepared by Brother Winger since the change-over of the Vice-President of this region in mid-October. The report details activities in the region up to and including this change.

    STANDING ITEMS

  • LFWA Report                                                                                                  m-s Simcoe-Turcq

    VP Simcoe presented her written report of the meeting she attended with VP Ebear. The building at the Wainwright Firehall continued to have issues although renovations are underway to repair the problems.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • British Columbia Report                                                                                m-s Miller/Frost

    VP Miller presented his written report which outlines new leadership for many of this region’s locals as well as upcoming training of UNDE Modules 6 and 8 in the new year. There are also plans for a Regional Conference in the Spring. Ongoing issues with management involve paper leave forms, TOIL and joint safety meetings.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • MOTION – Goose Bay                                                                                                m-s Lindsay/Miller

    Whereas Local 90181 has been in trusteeship for one mandate, going into a second mandate;

    Whereas there is no membership interest to form a viable executive;

    Whereas it is logistically not possible to represent the members.

    Be It Resolved that Local 90181 membership be delivered a clear message that an executive must be formed and functional by end of Feb. 2015 or UNDE will undertake the process to decertify 90181 as a UNDE Local and have them become a DCL to the PSAC;

    Be It Further Resolved that Local 90181 fund any travel costs for the purpose of this communication and that any remaining funds remain with UNDE should 90181 become a DCL.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Human Rights Advisor Report                                                          m-s Lindsay/Montgomery

    Sister Kelly presented a written report outlining her activities. In the coming months the Human Rights Coordinators will be contacting Locals to find volunteers interested in being contacts in that Local. There is also work being done to prepare a Human Rights program for UNDE.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • National Capital Region Report                                                                    m-s Barker/Lindsay

    VP Barker presented a written report highlighting her activities and meetings for this period.

  • Ontario Report                                                                                              m-s Desbiens/Lindsay

    VP Desbiens presented his written report of activities, including meetings and AGMs in his region.

  • Communications Security Establishment Report                          m-s Montgomery/Miller

    VP Montgomery presented a written report identifying that their Collective Agreement expires February 2015 on the heels of it being signed in October. As well, staff at CSE are moving into their new building, although there are still some corrective accessibility and environmental issues to work out.

    STANDING ITEMS

  • VP Turcq gave a verbal report discussing the process forward due to the deficit. Looking at the mandate ahead for 2014-2017, the National President has put a freeze on outside training and also Locals will now pay a larger percentage cost of boutique items as well as business cards and shipping. The Finance Committee will review the deficit status midway through the mandate and make recommendations to the National Executive.

  • HONOURS AND AWARDS REPORT                                                               m-s Kiley/Miller

    VP Kiley presented the Committee’s report.

    Congratulations to our scholarship winners:

    Mijian Chen, Local 625 awarded the Pat McGrath Award

    Jena Elizabeth McLean, Local 303 awarded the Don Butcher Award

  • As well, a 30-year pin and a lifetime membership will be presented to Brother Kevin Marchand, Local 409.

    Adjournment.