November 17-21, 2013

National Executive Minutes

Toronto, ON

Chair John MacLennan National President
Members Mary Chamberlain Executive Vice-President
Dan Frost Vice-President (NL/NB)
Terry Kiley Vice-President (NS)
Philippe Turcq Vice-President (QC)
Paulette Barker Vice-President (NCR)
Arlene Preston Vice-President (ON)
Randy Walker Vice-President (MB/SK)
June Winger Vice-President (AB/North)
T. Mark Miller Vice-President (BC)
Tamara Lindsay Vice-President (NPF)
Clay Joyce Vice-President (CSE)
Gloria Kelly Human Rights Advisor
Recording Secretary Sandra Montpetit

OPENING REMARKS

The National President welcomed members to the fall meeting of the National Executive. He acknowledged that the UNDE Bargaining Conference which took place in Toronto the past two days (Nov. 15-16) was a success. After much hard work, UNDE has now prioritized its demands and is ready for the PSAC National Bargaining Conference in February 2014.

 

The harassment statement was read aloud by Human Rights Advisor Kelly and EVP Chamberlain was named intervener since the Human Rights Advisor will be at the PSAC Equity Conferences which is taking place on the same days as the National Executive Meeting.

 

The hours of sessions were set as follows:

Sunday, November 17, 1:00 to 4:00

Monday, November 18, 1:00 to 4:00

Tuesday, November 19, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00
Wednesday, November 20, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 5:00

Thursday, November 21, 9:00 – 11:30 to end of business.

 

The agenda was adopted.

 

A moment of silence was observed by the National Officers in honour of the following UNDE Brothers and Sisters who have passed since the last meeting:

Brother W (Bill) Rowen, Local 00619

Brother Clarence Welton, Local 00629

            Brother Kevin Foster, Local 00629

            Brother André Lauzon, Local 21007

            Brother Charles Turner, Local 21007

            Brother John Staats, Local 30907

            Brother Ian MacDonald, Local 80407

            Brother Francis Bernard Paul Goudie, Local 90125

    STANDING ITEMS

  • Air Command Report                                                                                     m/s Preston/Turcq

    VP Preston presented her written report.Highlights were outlined from the last Air Division UMCC meeting. VP Preston also informed the group that she has had positive communication with the new BGen Drouin concerning Goose Bay.

  • Apprenticeship Program Report                                                                   m/s Miller/Lindsay

    VP Miller presented his written report. Questions on how DND and the AODP actually work are still unanswered. This issue continues to be raised by VP Miller and VP Preston at the 1CAD UMCC.

  • Human Rights Advisor Report                                                           m/s Chamberlain/Preston

    Human Rights Advisor Kelly presented her written report which included the concern that equity members continue to be under attack by the government with proposed changes to health and safety legislation. Duty to Accommodate continues to be an issue as well as Return to Work.

     

  • Bylaws Report                                                                                                m/s Miller/Lindsay

    VP Miller presented his written report which indicated no instances of harassment during this period and no changes to the National Bylaws.                                              

  • EAP Report                                                                                                     m/s Walker/Winger

    VP Walker presented his written report. There will be an EAP Annual Report for 2012-2013 which will include statistics and regional updates, it will be previewed by Coordinators before it is officially tabled. In order to get answers, EVP Chamberlain suggested VP Walker contact the Champion rather than Human Resources.

  • 2014 Important Dates Re: UNDE Triennial Convention – The National President informed the National Officers of upcoming confirmed dates as follows:

    JANUARY 20, 2014 – Convention call to go out to Locals

    APRIL 18, 2014 – Registrations and resolutions due at National Office

    MAY 26-29, 2014 – Convention Committees meet in Ottawa

    AUGUST 12-16, 2014 – National Executive meeting in Quebec   City

    AUGUST 18-22, 2014 – UNDE Triennial Convention in Quebec City

     

    NEW BUSINESS

  • Local Honorariums and T4As – The National President presented memo XO 28 from Robyn Benson concerning T4AS. Once more detail is received on this, National Office will send it out to the Locals.

     

    Environics Survey – The National President reported on a telephone survey to 1800 members conducted by Environics Research on behalf of the PSAC inquiring about members’ attitudes concerning bargaining issues.

    FR Report                                                           m/s Walker/Turcq

    VP Walker presented his written report. There has been no meeting of the Steering Committee in this period. Work continues on the pay study.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • NL/NB Report                                                                                                 m/s Frost/Joyce

    VP Frost presented his written report which outlined his activities and meetings for this period as well as elections that have taken place in some of his Locals. He is happy to report that Brother Leigh Hewitt is the new Youth Committee member from his region.

  • Nova Scotia Report                                                                                        m/s Kiley/Preston

    VP Kiley presented his written report. He informed the group that a grievance was partially upheld concerning hours of work in FMFCS, being that the employer does not have the right to restrict flexible hours of work when asked by the employee.

    His report also highlighted activities and meetings in his region which included The Nova Scotia Federation of Labour held at the end of October 2013. National President MacLennan also attended the convention and addressed members at the opening.

  • British Columbia Report                                                                               m/s Miller/Walker

    VP Miller presented his written report outlining the various activities and AGM meetings including elections for his Locals.

    DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Locals’ jurisdiction within the National Capital Region (NCR)

    At the Locals’ request, VP Barker explained that members from her region feel they are not being properly serviced by the union since members are located in various buildings which causes confusion as to which member belongs to which Local.

    The National President explained that with members moving around into different jobs and buildings makes it difficult to keep track. He said that merging some Locals has become inevitable and has put together a Committee to review and recommend how this should be done. This Committee is made up of EVP Chamberlain, VP Barker and VP Joyce.

     

    Occupational Structural Review Update

    The National President explained to National Officers he was informed that there are no more resources available from Treasury Board for this review. EVP Chamberlain suggested that perhaps re-filing a complaint will get it started up again. PSAC continues to ask the employer to meet on this.

     

    Bills C-4, C-377, and C-525

    The National President gave updates as to where these bills are at in the House of Commons.

     

  • Health and Safety Report                                                                              m/s Kiley/Miller

    VP Kiley presented his written report which detailed various work refusals in different regions, this lead to a discussion around the table from a range of regions, proving that Health and Safety issues are not going well. Committees are not complying with the Canada Labour Code. VP Kiley reminded everyone that he needs to receive a copy of ALL Health & Safety meeting minutes

  • Young Workers Report                                                                                 m/s Barker/Lindsay

    VP Barker presented her written report which stated that not much activity has happened with this Committee since the last meeting. EVP Chamberlain questioned how many of the Committee members are active in participating on calls or in meetings since the lack of interest of its members suggests that it is time to change this Committee’s mandate.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • Revisiting Local Presidents Conference

    VP Barker explained that members in her region are disappointed that the Local Presidents Conference was cancelled and are asking the National Office to revisit the idea of having one.

     

    The National President said that the reason it was cancelled was due to a lack of agenda items put forth by the Locals, and that it is not up to the National Office, nor the COMTRA Committee to put together an agenda for this Conference.

     

    After some discussion, National Officers agreed by consensus that it would not be feasible to have a Local Presidents Conference before the end of this mandate due to the amount of activities taking place in the next few months as well as it would not be financially sound to do so at this time, although Locals who did submit agenda items are welcomed to have a Regional Local Presidents Conference.

     

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Quebec Report                                                                                               m/s Turcq/Lindsay

    VP Turcq presented his written report which indicated his region has been hit hard by workforce adjustment. VP Turcq also reported on new local elections in his region, and that the new local 17752 has negotiated a new collective agreement.

  • Ontario Report                                                                                               m/s Preston/Walker

    VP Preston presented her written report which gave an update on her portfolios and highlights of her activities during this period.

  • National Capital Region Report                                                                    m/s Barker/Lindsay

    VP Barker presented her written report which outlined meetings and activities she attended.

  • Communications Security Establishment Report 

    VP Joyce presented her written report which itemized major changes within the organizational structure at CSE, of note there will be a new classification system for employees. There are also changes in Occupational Health & Safety with outside contractors now part of the committee.

  • Non-Public Funds Report                                                                              m/s Lindsay/Winger

    VP Lindsay presented her written report. She noted the amalgamation of two of her NCR Locals (00682 and 00684) which are now one, Local 682. EAP was also discussed as COMTRA needs to develop a module for NPF members.

  • Manitoba/Saskatchewan Report                                                                  m/s Walker/Winger

    VP Walker presented his written report which described how negotiation dates for some of his locals are being pushed back by the employer.

  • Alberta/North Report                                                                                    m/s Winger/Lindsay

    VP Winger presented her written report which included meetings and activities she attended for this period.

  • Executive Vice-President Report                                                            m/s Chamberlain/Joyce

    EVP Chamberlain presented her written report which contained the COMTRA Report as well as the USO Reports. The regional training reports are sent electronically to each VP separately.

    In addition to meetings and activities highlighted in her report, EVP Chamberlain advised that she also conducted the Ontario Bi-Election for DVP and Alternates, Brother Serge Desbiens has been elected DVP for the remainder of this mandate.

  • Motion to destroy the ballots                                                                         m/s Winger/Kiley

     

    EVP Chamberlain extended her congratulations to National Office staff Ronda Seguin (45 years of service) and Sue Tunis (37 years of service), for receiving the long service awards at the PSAC Founders Day.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • New Leave Code: VP Barker said that members are being denied sick leave due to a new code which puts members on “unauthorized” leave when they call in to work sick, she asked if other regions are experiencing this.

    Update of Website with UNDE Campaigns: VP Barker inquired if Local’s are updating their regional website pages with campaign information, a discussion followed.

    Scent-Free Workplace: VP Barker asked if UNDE is doing anything to enforce the employer to comply with this policy, UNDE is not actively enforcing this.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • LMRCs: VP Barker asked the group for guidance concerning Terms of References (TORs). EVP Chamberlain said there is a template that can be used as a guideline. All committees should try to maintain consistency, especially if it assists in deliberations. The Committee as a whole is to decide what goes into the TORs, not Human Resources.

    STANDING ITEMS

  • Honours & Awards Report                                                                            m/s Kiley/Barker

    VP Kiley presented his written report which contained four recipients for scholarships and one submission for lifetime member.

     

    MOTION TO DIVIDE into two parts: one part being the scholarships and the other being the lifetime membership                                            m/s Kiley/Lindsay

  • PART 1 – VP Kiley said there were 5 applicants for the scholarship awards, and the four successful recipients are:

    Isaac James, Local 30910, Medicine Hat, AB, awarded the Ken Green Scholarship;Charles James MacDonald, Local 40802, Moose Jaw, SK, awarded the Ken Green Scholarship;Emily Jayne Simcoe, Local 50705, Teulon, Manitoba, awarded the Gary Smith Scholarship; andCullen MacDonald, Local 80406, Halifax, NS, awarded the Bob Percher Scholarship.

  • PART 2 – VP Kiley announced that NCR Local 70607 nominated Sister Jenny Bowler for Lifetime membership. After some discussion and following a secret vote, this item was DEFEATED.

     

    Motion to destroy ballots                                                                               m/s Walker/Joyce

  • RESOLUTION: Motion to merge NCR Locals                                                 m/s Barker/Turcq

    “Whereas the new building on Blvd de la Carrière is located in close proximity to the Louis St Laurent Building;

    And whereas Local 605 is already a viable local within the Louis St Laurent Bldg;

    And whereas the membership within the new building are members of various locals within the NCR.

    Be it resolved that the Blvd de la Carrière Bldg membership be merged & become members with local 605.”

  • Finance Report                                                                                               m/s Turcq/Walker

    VP Turcq presented his written financial report along with Comptroller Loshuk who joined the group by teleconference. It was said that the Finance Committee will look at changing to a new actuary after the holidays. UNDE has been with Buck Consultants for 20 years and will look at exploring alternatives.

  • ADM-IE Report                                                                                               m/s Turcq-Lindsay

    VP Miller presented his written report along with attachments outlining discussions at these meetings he attended on centralization of services. He said more business cases need to be prepared to show that the work would be cheaper if it was kept in-house as opposed to hiring contractors. The next meeting is scheduled for the first week of December.

Adjournment.