Executive Meeting Minutes 30 April 2014

00629 Minutes

EXECUTIVE MEETING

UNDE LOCAL 629

30 April 2014

In Attendance Grant Tennant 1st Vice President
 Steve Yashinski  3rd Vice President
 Vallerie Griese  Treasurer
 Heather Walker  Secretary
 

 

Absent

Steve Gauthier President
Matthew Laframboise 2nd Vice President
 Vacant  Chief Steward

Serial

Discussion

Action By

1

Call to Order

1638 hrs.

President

2

Introduction

Harassment Policy read.

President

3

Review of Previous Minutes

Nothing to bring forward, last meeting minutes accepted.

President

4

Activity Reports

All executive must provide activity report in order to receive per diem.

President

5

Financial Report

Finances are good.

Treasurer

6

Cleaner Issue

We don’t have a cleaner at present, 1st Vice tasked with speaking to a new cleaner, who is willing to start Monday for 2 hours every 2 weeks at $15/hr. Treasurer to provide contract. 1st Vice met with last cleaner, delivered last cheque and collected keys.

President

7

Labour Day

Suggesting hours 1000 to 1900.

Ideas:

    • Open mike / karaoke
    • Net fish casting
    • Static displays from military
    • Antique cars
    • Lumber kings
    • Bean bag toss
    • BBQ with proceeds to Robbie Dean Foundation
    • Dance off
    • Live music – Desroches had names of bands who would play just to get their names out in front of the public
    • Prizes for raffle
    • Golf balls on strings
    • Bicycle rodeo
    • Shoot hoops
    • Dunk tank
    • Teddy bear hospital

Prep an email to send through 629 internal database with regards to Labour Day festivities. Looking into country musician, also perhaps a stop by Clara Hughes close to end of bike across Canada for mental health.

President

8

Stewards of local 629

Executive needs a working list of all stewards and invite them to an exec meeting. Protected B material cannot be sent in ‘1000 milers’. Chief Steward is looking at the Steward Network and working on collating info, then will send an email to all stewards with requirements to be fulfilled with a ‘no later than’ date, hopefully by next executive meeting. It has been identified that one of the shortfalls for stewards is lack of training and should be worked on as there is a renewed synergy of interest in being a steward.

President

9

By-laws approved

Secretary needs to send the finalized by-laws to the President so that they can be printed, signed and sent to National for approval.

President

10

May 22 Meeting

Is to discuss mobilization for demands, set for 1630 at the Petawawa Legion. The President will send out a base wide email. 2nd Vice will open and host the meeting however there are no responsibilities or obligations as meeting is not a 629 meeting.

President

11

RCDLC meeting May 7

Meeting was disappointing, felt they had just given 629 lip service and will be saying something at the next meeting. Heather to prepare a letter to all unions for solicitation of assistance, ideally want the mailing list of all the locals within RCDLC to utilize.

President

12

June 6, 7, 8 PSAC Convention

Delegates and observer will be away from June 5-9. The agenda has not been released yet.

President

13

Delegated Authority (DOA) Forms for Approval

Occupation Safety & Health committee is per unit & is supposed to be balance between military and civilian representatives. One way to drum up participation could be to have the CI send out an email supporting civilian participation in OSH nominations. There should be 9 meeting a year.

    • Brianne Smith approved as OSH rep 2 Svc Bn
    • Elizabeth Breault approved as OSH rep Garrison Food
    • Arden Green approved as OSH rep Garrison Food
    • Cindy Lamont approved as LMCC rep Garrison Food
    • Pamela Kelly approved as LMCC & Shop Steward rep Garrison Food
    • Therese Webber approved LMCC rep Garrison Food
    • Margaret Whiteley approved as LMCC rep Garrison Food
    • Derek Pearce approved as OSH rep Garrison Food
    • Amanda Sykes approved as Chief Shop Steward & Executive Mbr
    • Jonathon Teahen approved OSH rep Garrison Food

President

14

Website Info

Names to be removed from minutes as directed by National.

President

15

Correspondence

President received email requesting fundraising for a family. Clarification that we are not supporting the request but rather bringing it forward to the membership for discussion and decisions.

President

16

Future Minutes Formatting

No proper names are to be included in minutes.

President

17

New Business

TUB course in May

President

18

Round Table

Would like to discuss & explore utilizing social media to promote the union and activities. Concerns with civilian positions being lost to military members.

Would like to look into a wreath to present on behalf of local 629 at the National Day of Mourning each year. Prices range from $150 -$300, a nice one would be roughly $200 – $250, and the stand may be extra.

Legion provides our Remembrance Day wreath for a charge every year, lets look into purchasing two wreaths, $500 taxes in. Motion to purchase.

Motion passed.

When new employees come into your unit, please go and introduce yourself, bring a membership card, we are all affected card, free insurance and get their shirt size so that we can provide them with a free t-shirt. There are no size XXX, they are not being made or cannot be provided to us.

Chief Shop Steward

Treasurer

President

Executive

President

19

Meeting Adjourned 1825 hrs. Acting President

 

Minutes prepared by Heather Walker

Minutes approved by Steve Gauthier