Competition Start Date: 9/6/2019
|Classification||Band 10 (Under Review)|
|Language||Bilingual Imperative (English and French)|
|Salary||$89,401 – $95,645 + $1,200 Bilingual Bonus (Under Review)|
|Union Bargaining Unit||Alliance Employees’ Union, Unit 14
32-hour work week/4 days per week
|Location||Union of National Defence Employees
700-116 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5G3
The Union of National Defence Employees (UNDE) is one of the largest components of the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC). UNDE members work in a wide range of occupations which include labourers, firefighters, ships crews, various skilled trades, administrative services, cleaning services, food services, technologists/technicians, linguists, computer programmers, logistics specialists, engineers, medical administrators, mathematicians, librarians, financial analysts, recreation/sports specialists, retail clerks, etc. UNDE works with the members and the bargaining agent (PSAC) to obtain fair treatment and respect in the workplace, employment security, fair pay and benefits, and safe working conditions.
Purpose of Position
Under the general direction of the Executive Vice-President, the Comptroller is responsible for providing overall technical and financial advice, reporting and services to the National President and the Chair of the Finance Committee that support the financial goals of the Union of National Defence Employees Component and its Locals.
Statement of Responsibilities
The Comptroller reports to the Executive Vice- President and is responsible for financial reporting, budgets, maintaining cash controls, overseeing accounting and payroll services and monitoring investments in accordance with accounting standards, regulatory and legislative authorities, Component by-laws, regulations, policies, directives and internal controls.
The Comptroller is responsible for providing technical financial advice and guidance to the National President, National Executive Officers, Finance Committee, Component Staff, Members and Locals, as required.
- Professional accounting designation (CA, or CPA program graduate with experience conducting audits) and several years experience working in a senior financial role OR a combination of education, training and experience relative to the responsibilities of the position.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to develop an effective team by providing direction, building skills and morale and participating as an effective team member to create an environment that nurtures the principles and values of the Union.
- Knowledge of the structure of UNDE and the broader political, legislative and operational inter-relationships within a large national union organization with a demonstrated commitment to union principles and social justice.
- Knowledge of defined pension plans and group benefit plans and the governing legislations and regulations.
- Excellent judgment, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills to provide technical financial advice and information to all levels of Executive Officers, management, co-workers and members.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing financial systems, policies and procedures.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Finance and payroll software applications, databases and data security principles.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in the language(s) designated for the position.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to play a hands-on role in leading a priority organization project.
- Good organization skills and ability to adapt and manage changing priorities/peak workloads and to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and apply Collective agreements, directives, the Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), group benefit, pension and government regulations related to financial reporting and payroll source deductions and remittances.
A detailed job description is available upon request.
|Members of the Alliance Employees’ Union (AEU) Unit 14||9/20/2019|
|Members of the Alliance Employees’ Union (AEU) Unit 18||9/20/2019|
|Members of the Alliance Employees’ Union (AEU)||9/20/2019|
How to Apply
Mail: Bonnie Sullivan, Sullivan Search Partners, 1100-343 Preston Street, Suite 1100
For Additional Information: Please contact Bonnie Sullivan 343.291.1128
A screening board will review applications. The Board’s decision will be based on the contents of the application. It will be the responsibility of the applicant to provide evidence of demonstrated ability by providing necessary information and documents with the application. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.