December 7-10, 2015

National Executive Minutes

Ottawa

Chair John MacLennan National President
Members June Winger Executive Vice-President
Dan Frost Vice-President (NL/NB)
Terry Kiley Vice-President (NS)
Philippe Turcq Vice-President (QC)
Paulette Barker Vice-President (NCR)
Serge Desbiens Vice-President (ON)
Mona Simcoe Vice-President (MB/SK)
Brenda Ebear Vice-President (AB/North)
T. Mark Miller Vice-President (BC)
Tamara Lindsay Vice-President (NPF)
Eugene Stone Deputy Vice-President (CSE) Dec. 7-8
Monty Montgomery Vice-President (CSE) Dec. 9-10
Gloria Kelly Human Rights Advisor
Recording Secretary Sandra Montpetit

 

OPENING REMARKS

The National President welcomed members to the fall meeting of the National Executive.

DVP CSE Eugene Stone will be replacing VP Monty Montgomery for the first two days of the meeting until VP Montgomery returns on the 9th.

The harassment statement was read aloud by Human Rights Advisor Kelly and EVP Winger was named intervener.

The hours of sessions were set as follows:

Monday, December 7, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00

Tuesday, December 8, 9:00 -11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00

Wednesday, December 9, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00

Thursday, December 10, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to termination of business.

The agenda was adopted.

HONOUR ROLL

A moment of silence was observed for the following members who have passed since the last NE meeting:

Brother Derek Ross, Local 406                       Brother Danny Julie, Local 504

Brother Jean Roch Matte, Local 527              Brother Maurice Leblanc, Local 602

Sister Mary Mikaczo, Local 619                      Brother Shane Terry, Local 629                       

Brother Bruce Leedham, Local 637                Brother Frank Flock, Local 1016                    

Sister Barbara Lagrave, Local 1016

Previous NE meetings updates:

VP Desbiens gave an update on Local 619 since the Administrative Review Committee presented their report at the Special NE meeting on October 22, 2015.  The motion from that meeting was to divide the Local into two Locals which has now been done. The membership will be divided into two locals by command structure.  The new Local will be named 621.  Each Local with have their own union office.  Both Locals will hold their own AGM and elections meeting later in December/January.

Alternative Dispute Resolution: VP Simcoe asked for clarification from VP Barker on the issue of ADR and the need for concrete examples.  VP Barker said that some of her Locals have stated they have examples although they are not sent to her in writing.  The EVP said that she needs these sent to her in writing as soon as they come up in order for her to bring it to the department’s attention.  VP Barker will follow-up with her Locals to get these in writing.

The previous minutes from the last National Executive Meeting in April 2015 were adopted.

 

    STANDING ITEMS

  • ADM-IE (RP Ops)                                                                                            m-s Miller/Turcq

    VP Miller presented his written report.  He said that meetings with the new Commanding Officer are going well.  The Assistant Deputy Minister for IE, Jamie Pitfield, has asked for a meeting with VP Miller and the National President which might take place sometime this week during the National Executive.

  • Air Command Report                                                                                     m-s Miller/Turcq

    VP Miller presented his written report.  The next meeting with 1 CAD is scheduled for Dec 14 in Winnipeg.

  • Apprenticeship Report                                                                                  m-s Miller/Desbiens

    VP Miller presented his written report.  He said there are some concerns of staffing issues with HR and the hiring of new apprenticeships.

  • Bylaws Report                                                                                                            m-s Miller/Ebear  

    VP Miller presented his written report which included the UNDE Harassment Annual Report Form statistics of complaints by region for the year.  Some National Officers said they have some that still need to be added to this report which they will send to VP Miller.

    There are also some updates to the UNDE Harassment Policy booklet that still have to be finalized.

  • EAP Report                                                                                                     m-s Ebear/Miller

    VP Ebear presented her written report.  The EAP recruitment kit has been finalized and is ready to roll out.  She also stated that training has improved and is moving forward.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Newfoundland/Labrador and New Brunswick                                   m-s Frost/Kiley

    VP Frost presented his written report which outlined elections in his Locals and activities he has attended.

    There was some discussion on how HR is managing more than advising in not only this region but others.  VP Turcq said he wants this issue raised nationally by the UNDE National President.  Therefore, the National President has asked all National Officers to send EVP Winger examples of this by January 22, 2016.  Once these examples are compiled, the National President will send a letter to the Minister of National Defence as well as the ADM HR Civ to raise this concern with them.

     

  • Nova Scotia                                                                                                    m-s Kiley/Desbiens

    VP Kiley presented his written report which highlighted meetings and activities he has attended since the last meeting.  A telephone town hall for UNDE members in the Atlantic region with the National President and EVP was very successful.

     

  • Quebec                                                                                                           m-s Turcq/Desbiens

    VP Turcq presented his written report.  His region was very active holding demonstrations on the 19th of every month for the past year and was successful in ensuring a new government came into power.

    He also spoke about the Syrian refugees, which will be housed temporarily in Valcartier in his region, as well as other bases across the country.  The goal is to ensure the security of all employees on bases, both civilian and military.  The National President has said that should any concerns arise during this process that they can be sent to him.

     

  • Ontario                                                                                                           m-s Desbiens/Turcq

    VP Desbiens presented his written report which detailed his activities throughout this period.

  • Communications Security Establishment                                                     m-s Stone/Frost

    DVP Stone presented the written report on behalf of VP Montgomery.  He said CSE is waiting on its new mandate which will come soon with the new Liberal Government.  As well, there continues to be parking issues at the new building.

  • Non-Public Funds                                                                                           m-s Lindsay/Ebear

    VP Lindsay presented her written report and gave an update on Local 181 which has been in trusteeship.  Most of the Locals in her region are in bargaining or about to begin bargaining new collective agreements.

    NEW BUSINESS

  • Local 619 Audited Financial Statement                                                        m-s Desbiens/Turcq

    VP Desbiens presented the final audited financial statement for Local 619 before the Local is split into two Locals.  This statement is for the period October 2014 to September 30, 2015.  There remains an issue about claims not all being processed yet, therefore a date will be set where any claims being sent in after this date will be reviewed by VP Desbiens for approval once discussed with the National President.  Claims sent in between Sept. 30 and Dec. 16th, 2015 are subject to a mini audit.

    DISCUSSION

  • Direct Deposit for National Officers – VP Ebear questioned whether it would be possible for National Officers to be added to direct deposit for claims reimbursement.  The National President said he spoke to the Comptroller on this and due to the additional bank charges and administrative work this would entail it is not feasible at this time.

    Staff Resource Person – EVP Winger explained that each committee portfolio is assigned a resource person, which is one of UNDE staff personnel, should they require one and can use that staff resource as they see the need.  This can be either as a subject matter expert or administratively.  She also confirmed that the Union Services Officers (USO) are now titled Labour Relations Officers (LRO) to be more in line with their counterparts.

    Conference Calls – EVP Winger reminded the National Officers that the national conference call number can be utilised as needed, although everyone must first put in a request to Sister Montpetit at National Office to ensure the time and date of the intended call is available.

     

    NATIONAL OFFICE

  • EVP Report                                                                                                     m-s Winger/Turcq

    EVP Winger presented her written report which included her activities during this period as well as reports from the Labour Relations Officers.

    She also gave updates on COMTRA initiatives, including a reminder that when regions are organizing general training in their region not specified for Treasury Board members only, that the region open up the training to NPF members as well from that region.

    Action items for National Officers:

    Please forward all joint committee meeting minutes to EVP’s office;

    Please forward a synopsis and org chart of each portfolio you hold to EVP’s office;

    Please advise EVP’s office of any resistance by the employer to allow union meetings, include all relevant material, dates and written documentation.

  • Presentation on the new Phoenix Pay System: Donna Lackie, GSU President, accompanied by Jack Gale, GSU EVP, gave the group an update on how the new Phoenix pay system has been rolling out throughout the country in all government services areas and what they can expect in the next few months.

    STANDING REPORTS

  • FR Steering / FR Wellness                                                                              m-s Desbiens/Simcoe

    VP Desbiens said there is no update on the FR Steering Committee as they have not met.  He then presented his written report for the FR Wellness Committee which outlined that DND firefighters will have R2MR (Road to Mental Readiness) added to their training skills, there was some discussion that this training should also be given to others who work on bases and deal with traumatic issues.

    There was also some discussion around how representatives are chosen for the FR Wellness Committee, the OPI is to inform the VP of the region when a rep is needed and then the VP notifies the OPI once chosen from their region.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • National Capital Region                                                                                m-s Barker/Ebear

    VP Barker presented her written report which highlighted her activities in this period including the OFL Workers of Colour Symposium and the OFL Convention.

    She also attended Local 614’s AGM meeting, there is some concern due to the fact that no members in the Local are interested in running for the positions.  She will try again in Jan/Feb before the Local will be put in trusteeship if no one steps up.

  • Land Forces – 4 Canadian Division LMCC                                                     m-s Desbiens/Ebear

    VP Desbiens presented his written report which stated that these meetings will be rotated and held in different cities, although it should be made clear that if management is deciding to incorporate this change then they are also responsible for the costs associated with holding these meetings in other cities, not the union.

  • Land Forces – 3 Canadian Division LMCC                                                     m-s Simcoe/Kiley

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which outlined a discussion that took place during the meeting concerning the contracting out of kitchens in Suffield as this has been upsetting to the civilians working there, management said there have been no decisions made yet.  VP Simcoe will ensure this item is revisited at their next meeting.

  • Young Workers                                                                                              m-s Simcoe/Frost

    VP Simcoe presented her written report.  The Committee has had their first conference call in this new mandate and made the following changes to the Terms of Reference: the age is now 35 instead of 30 for members on the Committee and also the name of the Committee is now the Young Workers Committee.

  • NOTICE OF MOTION – 50th anniversary

    NEW BUSINESS

  • Investigation Committee Report – Local 619 (Report G)                 m-s Lindsay/Desbiens

    Report “G” of the investigation of Local 619 was heard.  By conference call, Mary-Anne Walker, Regional Vice-President Ontario UNE read the investigation report aloud.

  • Recommendations A to D of the report, conclusion to the allegations of Complaint G: unfounded.

    MOTION m-s MacLennan/Lindsay

  • Whereas UNDE is mandated from Convention to celebrate UNDE’s 50th anniversary at a major event such as the Presidents Conference or the Health and Safety Conference;

    Therefore be it resolved that UNDE prepare and celebrate UNDE’s 50th anniversary at the 2016 Presidents Conference;

    Be it further resolved that this event be organized by a committee of 2 lifetime members and 2 active members;

    Be it further resolved that 50th Anniversary funding be made available by the National Executive for local rank and file members or activists to arrange their own celebrations locally.

    Be it further resolved that the 50th anniversary be costed no later than January 31, 2016 and presented to the National Executive for decision.

    STANDING REPORTS

  • Honours and Awards                                                                                     m-s Kiley/Barker

    VP Kiley presented the Committee’s written report.  There were 4 applications received for scholarship awards, the recipients are:

    Local 80403: Chelsea Durand, Greenwood, Nova Scotia, awarded the Ken Green Scholarship.

    Local 00680: Renee Aulenbach, Petawawa, Ontario, awarded the Pat McGrath Scholarship.

    Local 00637: Rachel Hoekstra, Brighton, Ontario, awarded the Gary Smith Scholarship.

    Local 80403: Brianna Schwarz, Greenwood, Nova Scotia, awarded the Bob Percher Scholarship.

  • NOTICE OF MOTION – Scholarships

    STANDING REPORTS

  • Finance Report                                                                                               m-s Turcq/Winger

    VP Turcq presented the financial statements as of August 31, 2015.  Membership numbers shows that UNDE is now at just under 16,300 members at the end of the fiscal year.  Locals are asked to send in their audited financial statements and AGM minutes to Sister Amanda Agnew at National Office, rebate cheques as well as training for members in those Locals who have not provided these will be held back if not received by end of December 2015.  The National President also requested that the VPs review the Bylaws for each of their Locals to ensure National Office has the most recent copy.

  • Health & Safety Report                                                                                 m-s Kiley/Lindsay

    VP Kiley presented his written report which outlined meetings and training updates for this period.  Violence in the Workplace will be the main topic at the upcoming UNDE Health & Safety Conference in May 2016 since it has an amended policy now that includes harassment.

  • Canadian Forces Health Services                                                                 m-s Barker/Miller

    VP Barker presented her written report which detailed a spike in military backfilling for vacant positions who are then being retained in indeterminate positions.  The National President asked VPs to canvas Locals in their regions to determine how widespread this is and to then bring this information to a LMRC meeting, if still occurring then discuss with Brother Louis Bisson at National Office in order to file a complaint.

    REGIONAL REPORTS

  • Manitoba/Saskatchewan                                                                              m-s Simcoe/Ebear

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which highlighted the AGMs in her region, meetings attended and training she facilitated.  Of note, Sodexo held a ratification vote to accept a proposed increase to Cook’s wages as a market adjustment.  It was noted that the bargaining team would have liked to have been consulted before a decision was made by PSAC to accept this proposal and go to a ratification vote.  The National President said that it is not a good decision when the Collective Agreement is re-opened by the employer as it can be a slippery slope even though the bargaining team agrees to it.

  • Alberta and the North                                                                                   m-s Ebear/Winger

    VP Ebear presented her written report which itemized meetings and AGMs during this period.  It is to be noted that there is a new DVP for this region, Brother Rick Parenteau, Local 903.

  • British Columbia                                                                                            m-s Miller/Barker

    VP Miller presented his written report which listed some changes in his Locals following AGMs.  There will be training provided in his region in January 2016 on Classifications.

  • Human Rights Advisor Report                                                                       m-s Kiley/Frost

    Human Rights Advisor Kelly presented her written report, duty to accommodate being the biggest issue lately as managers are not getting proper help from Human Resources when members are returning to work.  After some discussion of this problem occurring in various regions, the National President said that if this is happening consistently throughout the country then this item should be added to the LMRC agenda of that region to be dealt with.

    Sister Kelly also mentioned that her Human Rights Coordinators Meeting in October was successful although she is concerned that many members of this Committee will be retiring soon, replacements need to be found for these regions.

  • MOTION                                                                                             m-s Simcoe/Montgomery

    WHEREAS previous years not enough applications were received to award all four scholarships;

    WHEREAS the requirement to be a first year student limits applications;

    WHEREAS students attending university or higher learning can have financial hardships during years other than their first year;

    WHEREAS students who have applied previously and were unsuccessful currently don’t have an opportunity to apply again;

    BE IT RESOLVED the second eligibility requirement be amended to read: The candidate must intend to register at a university of recognized standing or a recognized institute of higher learning on a full-time basis for the academic year.

    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the fourth eligibility requirement be amended to read: From the qualifying candidates, the final selection shall be made by an appointed scholarship award committee of the National Executive, on the basis of financial need and academic standing, with preference given to first year students.

  • Adjournment