December 12-14, 2016

National Executive Minutes

National Executive Meeting

Ottawa, ON

Chair John MacLennan National President
Members June Winger Executive Vice-President
Dan Frost Vice-President (NL/NB)
Terry Kiley Vice-President (NS)
Philippe Turcq Vice-President (QC)
Paulette Barker Vice-President (NCR)
Serge Desbiens Vice-President (ON)
Mona Simcoe Vice-President (MB/SK)
Brenda Ebear Vice-President (AB/North)
T. Mark Miller Vice-President (BC) – absent Dec. 12 am
Tamara Lindsay Vice-President (NPF)
Monty Montgomery Vice-President (CSE)
Gloria Kelly Human Rights Advisor
Recording Secretary Sandra Montpetit

 

OPENING REMARKS

The National President welcomed members to the fall meeting of the National Executive and began by giving an update on recent meetings with the Department including a meeting with the Deputy Minister where P3s and in-support service contracts were discussed, and also met with Hon. Andrew Leslie the Liberal Party whip for Defence on these topics as well, the other DND bargaining agents also attended this meeting with Leslie.  Finally, National President MacLennan and Jerry Ryan, President of FGDTLC East, will be scheduled to appear and testify before the Standing Committee on National Defence in the spring.

The National President received an e-mail from the Department confirming 15 FR term positions in Esquimalt will be rolled-over as indeterminate who were declared essential after the Department was challenged. Locals are to be canvassed about what term positons they also have which could also be challenged.  The e-mail was circulated to all National Officers.

The National President also gave an update on how negotiations are going with Treasury Board, other than the topic of Phoenix issues causing major problems, items on the table are: pay increase and sick leave.

UNDE Convention Committees will meet in Ottawa the week of May 29 to June 2, 2017.

With the upcoming PSAC Regional Conventions he reminded National Officers that there will be a UNDE caucus prior to each convention, usually the day before except for Quebec which is the morning their convention begins.  Sister Colleen Hodder is running for the position of PSAC REVP Atlantic and Sister Colleen Girard is running for the position of PSAC REVP BC.

HARASSMENT STATEMENT

The harassment statement was read aloud by National Human Rights Advisor Kelly and EVP Winger was named intervener.

The hours of sessions were set as follows:

Monday, December 12, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00

Tuesday, December 13, 9:00 -11:30 / 1:00 to 5:00

Wednesday, December 14, 9:00 – 11:30 / 1:00 to termination of business.

AGENDA ADOPTION                                                                                         m-s Turcq/Lindsay

After one addition to the agenda: UNDE History Book under New Business, the agenda was adopted.                                                                                                                                 CARRIED

HONOUR ROLL

A moment of silence was observed for the following members who have passed since the last NE meeting:

Brother Richard Abbott – Local 21016

Brother Donald Martin – Local 80412

Brother Barry Rushworth – Local 00641

Brother John N. Laarakkers – Local 21016

Sister Vickie Dombroskie – Local 00629        

Sister Fay Wood – Local 30910

 

PREVIOUS MINUTES – no changes to final minutes of May 2016.

    STANDING REPORTS

  • Employees Assistance Program                                            m-s Ebear/Desbiens

    VP Ebear presented her written report and gave an update on the EAP structure modernization, consultation will continue to redefine the roles and responsibilities and establish work descriptions.  There was some discussion on management being reluctant to engage RAs, in these cases the Champion needs to be engaged in that location.  It was also noted that RAs need a letter from their employer acknowledging the time they will need for EAP to allow them the time needed.

    VP Ebear reminded everyone that the subject of EAP should be added to LMCC agendas as much as possible in the regions.

     

  • FR Steering                                                                                          m-s Desbiens/Kiley

     

    VP Desbiens presented his written report which highlighted the successful and informative meeting which was held on September 20-21 in Ottawa, topics discussed during the meeting were pension and presumptive cancer coverage as well as the ongoing wellness initiative.  The FR Steering Committee has also set up a Facebook page as well as an App called WhatsApp for FR Steering Committee members.

     

  • Health & Safety                                                                                      m-s Kiley/Turcq

    VP Kiley presented his written report which gave updates on work refusals, violence in the workplace and return to work, topics that were brought up at the National Health & Safety Policy Committee Meeting (NHSPC).  One item of concern is asbestos since some work is being performed in which it is not safe for employees in that surrounding area.  The employer will be sending a survey to all DND buildings.  VP Kiley also raised the concern of return to work as it seems to be moving backward and not ahead as there are over 1,000 cases of employees off work for extended periods.

  • Land Forces 3rd Canadian Division                                       m-s Simcoe/Lindsay

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which gave highlights of the meeting held in November, including operation staffing which will be better streamlined to efficiently staff vacant positions through the use of shared resources and collective staffing processes.

  • Land Forces 5th Canadian Division                                              m-s Frost/Turcq

    VP Frost presented his written report.  There was some discussion regarding staying home from work during storms, members are reminded to read the article in the collective agreement on this.

  • Real Property Operations Unit (Ontario)                         m-s Desbiens/Barker

     VP Desbiens presented his written report covering the meeting which was held on October 3.  As this was the first meeting, the Terms of Reference were defined and accepted.  Also discussed was IEBM (Infrastructure & Environment Business Modernization project) as Base Borden is the pilot for this project which is going live in February 2017.

  • Real Property Operations Unit (West)                                    m-s Simcoe/Ebear

    VP Simcoe presented a written report of the meeting that took place in November 2016.  This was the first meeting and it was held by teleconference.  The Terms of Reference will be developed.  Items discussed were apprenticeship and P3s.  Also discussed were staffing issues as there is a possibility that the SWE will not cover the number of positions needed.

  • Young Workers                                                                      m-s Simcoe/Montgomery

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which highlighted a successful CLC Youth Summit in October which the Committee attended.  She reminded the VPs to invite the young worker in their respective region when having union meetings and/or conferences in order to give them the experience.  Members of the Committee have asked to come to a National Executive meeting as an observer to get exposure and encourage mentoring, it was suggested that a resolution should be sent to convention for young workers to attend the first National Executive meeting of the new mandate.

  • NEW BUSINESS – DISCUSSION

    E-mail addresses in the Locals – VP Kiley provided some background following a recent situation in one of his Locals where there was a change in the Local Executive.  He suggested it would be a good idea for each Local to have their own unde.org e-mail address to ensure continuity within the Local.

    EVP Winger provided three options, two of which would have a cost attached, the 3rd would be at no cost and involves each Local having their own e-mail account which could be managed and administered by National Office.  A resolution will need to be presented at convention if this is to be added to the Bylaws in the future concerning Local business.

    Rand members on MUD sheets – VP Lindsay explained that some members that have signed membership cards are still showing up as Rands.  Locals need to send copies of signed cards to Sister Brackhahn at National Office as she can ensure they are included in the PSAC database.  Locals also need to keep track of new hires to ensure they show up properly in the system.  Treasury Board Locals are also experiencing issues although this is due to the Phoenix pay system.

  • STANDING REPORTS

    ADM-IE RP Ops

     VP Miller gave a verbal update.  He reported that the Committee will be meeting next week and that there are many agenda items supplied by UNDE such as: Phoenix impact on IE, SLAs, apprenticeship program, staffing, contracting out and central depository for UMCC minutes, to name a few.  There is currently a staffing task analysis under way to show gaps and provide focus.

    Also the way work is being performed where asbestos is concerned during renovations in buildings is a big issue as there is a lack of communication and ownership, not being taking seriously enough.

    Since local RP Ops meetings in the regions are new, National Officers discussed how reports should be prepared and presented.  There are meetings in five regions: West, Ontario, NCR/North, Quebec and Atlantic.  Items of importance should be sent to VP Miller within 48 hours of the meeting as well as brought to the National Executive in a written report.

  • Air Command                                                                                            m-s Miller/Kiley

    VP Miller presented his written report.  The Committee will be meeting in January 2017 and currently the only agenda item concerns third party work as contractors are doing public service work as well as NPF positions.  If there are other agenda items, send them to VP Miller or VP Simcoe, the co-chair.

  • Apprenticeship Program                                                              m-s Miller/Barker

    VP Miller presented his written report.  The Department supports the program although they say there is no funding for it, funding will cease in 2018.  VPs are asked to send VP Miller their apprenticeship numbers.

  • Bylaws                                                                                      m-s Miller/Montgomery

     VP Miller presented his written report which stated that the Committee still has yet to meet to review the bylaws to ensure UNDE is in compliance with its convention directives and any constitutional changes brought about by the PSAC.

    VP Miller stated that he is not receiving regular quarterly harassment reports (page 30 of the Harassment Policy) from the VPs, they are reminded to do this even if there is nothing to report for that quarter.

  • REGIONAL REPORTS

     Newfoundland-Labrador/New Brunswick                                m-s Frost/Turcq

    VP Frost presented his written report highlighting activities and training in his Locals, Phoenix being the largest concern. Also, with SERCO winning the re-bid, some private sector members in Local 90125 have been laid-off as SERCO has started looking at more efficient ways of doing business.

  • STANDING REPORTS

    Finance                                                                                            m-s Turcq/Lindsay

    VP Turcq was accompanied by Comptroller Loshuk as they presented the written report and financial statements.  Due to Phoenix issues, current membership is standing at 15,900 but is actually 16,400.

    Locals are reminded to send their AGM minutes and Financial Statements on time.

    There is a new e-mail created which is claims@unde.org for all claims and documentation related to claims that should be sent here from now on, although faxing and/or mailing your forms is still accepted.

    When Locals are attending various UNDE functions, carpooling is mandatory unless prior approval received from the National President.  A formal letter will be sent out to all Locals regarding the Travel Policy.  Comptroller Loshuk will verify UNDE’s Directors Liability Insurance to ensure coverage is accurate and adequate when our members are carpooling.

  • NDMC – Health Centre                                                                  m-s Barker/Miller

    VP Barker presented her written report from this Committee meeting where there was a discussion regarding staffing vacant positions with casuals and temps as well as moving positions around.  Minutes of the meeting will follow once they are signed.

  • NEW BUSINESS

    Merger NCR Locals 70614 with 70611:  VP Barker explained there has been an ongoing issue trying to establish a Local Executive within Local 70614 (Shirley’s Bay) therefore Local 70611, the nearest Local, was asked if they would agree to accept them which they have.

    UNDE History Book:  National President MacLennan presented the National Officers with a proposal in regards to having a UNDE history book published, the quote was for 500 copies.

    Motion to adopt proposal                                          m-s MacLennan/Lindsay

    There was some discussion on budget and number of copies to be printed.                                                                                                                                                     CARRIED

    Amendment to motion                                                m-s Lindsay/Turcq

    The amendment was to change the proposal to publish 1000 copies as it would be more economical, although having it in electronic format might be favoured instead.                                                                                                                                 DEFEATED

    Tabled                                                                                       m-s Turcq/Frost

    After some discussion concerning the additional cost of having this book translated, it was tabled until proper costing can be determined and brought back for approval by the National Executive.  However, the goal is to have these copies ready for Convention in August.                                                                                        CARRIED

     

    Regional meetings with MPs concerning P3s – This was a reminder of the conference call with the National Executive in September where National President MacLennan had tasked the VPs to form teams in their regions to lobby politicians in the P3 fightback campaign.  A copy of the speaking notes will be sent.

  • REGIONAL REPORTS

    Nova Scotia                                                                                               m-s Kiley/Ebear

    VP Kiley presented his written report outlining various meeting he attended and activities within his Locals.  Eleven ships crews’ members had to be re-assigned to other areas when it was announced in September that the CFAV Quest will be divested.  Also of note is the increase of in support service (ISS) contracts in the Navy for the new Supply and Arctic Patrol Vessels.

  • Quebec                                                                                                 m-s Turcq/Simcoe

    VP Turcq presented his written report for this period with Phoenix problems being the main issue with members in his region.  An e-mail was sent to PSAC National President Robyn Benson insisting a day of action for all public service members to bring more attention to this issue.

  • Executive Vice-President Report                                                  m-s Winger/Frost

    EVP Winger presented her written report which included an update on COMTRA activities, LRO reports and regional training.  EVP Winger explained that a lot of her time is spent dealing with Phoenix Pay issues, members are reminded to lobby their MPs to urge them that these pay issues get resolved.  National Office will be contracting a part-time Compensation Advisor in the new year to deal with the backload.

  • Honours and Awards Report                                                              m-s Kiley/Turcq

    VP Kiley, Chair of this Committee, presented the Committee’s report which consisted of two parts:

    Part A – SCHOLARSHIPS

    There were seven applications received this year and the Committee recommended that all 7 receive a scholarship.

  • The following are the successful recipients:

    Jessie Frost, Local 60303, CFB Gagetown NB, awarded the Ken Green Scholarship. Jessie will be attending St.Thomas University, Fredericton NB

    Daniel Russell, Local 80406, CFB Halifax, NS, awarded the Pat McGrath Scholarship. Daniel will be attending Saint Mary’s University, Halifax NS.

    Sarah DeGrace, Local 80406, CFB Halifax, NS, awarded the Gary Smith Scholarship. Sarah will be attending Acadia University,Wolfville NS.

    Simone Keirstead, Local 80406, Halifax, NS,will be awarded the Don Butcher  Scholarship. Simone will be attending Saint Francis Xavier University, Antigonish.

    Emily Simcoe, Local 50705, Winnipeg MB, will be awarded the Bob Percher Scholarship. Emily will be attending The University of Winnipeg.

    Matthew Keenan, Local 00641, Kingston, ON, will be awarded an UNDE Scholarship. Matthew will be attending Saint Lawrence College, Kingston, ON.

    Sarah Sinon, Local 00641, Kingston, ON, will be awarded an UNDE Scholarship. Sarah will be attending Carleton University, Ottawa, ON.

     

    Part B – LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS                                    m-s Kiley/Lindsay

    Sister Enza Ricci, Local 70607, NCR, was nominated for a Life Membership. The committee reviewed the nomination and is satisfied that she meets the criteria for this award.  The Committee recommended concurrence.                                                                                                                                                                                      CARRIED

    Motion to destroy ballots                                                                  m-s Simcoe/Barker

    CARRIED

  • REGIONAL REPORTS

    Ontario                                                                                                   m-s Desbiens/Frost

    VP Desbiens presented his written report which included activities within his Locals as well as meetings and bargaining he attended during this period.

  • National Capital Region                                                            m-s Barker/Desbiens

    VP Barker presented her written report which outlined meetings and activities within her Locals, there is concern among Locals once the move to the Carling Campus is complete.  The region had a successful Regional Conference in October.

  • Communications Security Establishment                m-s Montgomery/Winger

    VP Montgomery presented his written report identifying ongoing issues with bargaining as well as the development of a new classification system for CSE.

  • Non-Public Funds                                                                        m-s Lindsay/Miller

     VP Lindsay presented her written report which included bargaining updates on each of her Locals.  She also highlighted a successful Regional Conference was had in October.

  • Manitoba-Saskatchewan                                                                  m-s Simcoe/Ebear

    VP Simcoe presented her written report which outlined activities in her Locals including training and AGMs.

  • Alberta and the North                                                                      m-s Ebear/Lindsay

    VP Ebear presented her written report for this period which included activities in her Locals as well as meetings she attended.

  • British Columbia                                                                                    m-s Miller/Turcq

    VP Miller presented his written report which identified changes in his Locals following AGMs as well as itemizing VP Miller’s various activities and meetings.

  • Human Rights Advisor                                                              m-s Lindsay/Simcoe

    Sister Kelly presented her written report, mental health still being the main issue being dealt with in the workplace.  There was also a very productive Human Rights Coordinators meeting in December where it was announced that Sister Cathy Dallaire, the representative for Quebec, will be retiring.  Sister Kelly expressed a special thank you for all her hard work on this Committee.

     

     

  • ADJOURNMENT